Friday, December 2, 2011

Spicy Apple Squash Soup: let the ingredients speak for themselves...

I love making soup. I dearly love it. There are so many variations, I can't imagine I'll ever get sick of soup, BUT, I have worn out a few soup strains as of late. Brothy, full of stewed tomatoes, with a noticeable splash of red wine vinegar (sorry if I'm gearing your taste buds up for tomatoes, cause that's not the direction we're going today...). Well, it's time for something different. I'm talking complex, creamy, and autumnal. Here's what I came up with:

You'll Need
2 large apples, pealed and cored
2 medium squash, baked and scraped out (pumpkin, acorn, butternut, they'll all do the trick)
2 serrano peppers
2-3 cups broth (veggie or chicken, your choice!)
4 onions
butter
olive oil
salt

You Should
Caramelize the onions in (un)healthy amount of butter, and a touch of olive oil. Once the onions are translucent and browned, add the apples, serranos, and a little bit of broth. Let that boil for a few minutes, and add the squash. After it's boiled for a few more minutes, turn off the heat, puree the mixture, and taste. Add salt till it's just right, and let it cool. The longer it sits, the more the subtle flavors will come out, especially the apples and the spice. Try to resist adding a bunch of herbs and spices to this one, the natural flavors make it surprisingly flavorpacked!

*Right before serving, I'd suggest toasting a piece of bread with goat cheese on top, and floating that in the soup, almost like the way french onion soup has the crusty baguette floating on top...

AND ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment